I adapted this from a recipe in Men's Journal magazine, simplifying the preparation, and providing options.
• 1 cup (200 g) red quinoa
• 1 large sweet potato or yam
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup (200 g) walnut halves
• Cayenne pepper
• 1 small bunch lacinato kale
• Red wine vinegar or lemon juice
• Optional: chopped cooked chicken, bacon
• Rinse quinoa and cook according to instructions on package, being careful not to overcook.
• Chop the sweet potato into a 1/2-inch pieces. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place on a baking sheet and roast in a hot oven - 425°F (220°C) oven for about 10 minutes. Flip them and return to the oven for 10 - 15 minutes until browned and tender.
• Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 5 minutes, just until a bit glossy and crisp. (Set a timer: They burn easily.)
• Strip the stems and slice or tear leaves into pieces.
• Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a large skillet, and cook over medium-high heat until kale is wilted and tender.
• Put the quinoa in a large bowl, add the sweet potato and kale. Add vinegar or lemon juice and olive oil and blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste, along with a touch of cayenne pepper for a little zip!
• Top with walnuts, and top with crumbled bacon, if desired.