Adapted from Taste of Home
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Qt (1 liter) chicken or turkey stock
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup (75 g) frozen peas
- 1 cup rice (200 g) - I use a wild and brown rice blend
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (250 g) shredded or cubed cooked turkey
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- Fresh cilantro, optional
Warm the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add the broth, tomatoes, peas, rice and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
Cook for 30-40 minutes, as directed by the rice. Stir in the turkey and continue to cook until heated through. Delicious with a splash of hot pepper sauce and cilantro.