- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped and diced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- ½ cup (80 g) diced red bell pepper (any color is fine)
- 2 medium zucchini - sliced into 1/2 rounds and quartered
- 1 - 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teas. dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teas dried
- 3 - 4 cups diced fresh tomato (28 oz or 800 g if using canned)
- 1 Quart (1 liter) chicken broth or stock
- salt and pepper to taste (I start with 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt and and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper)
- 2 cups (approx 300 g) shredded cooked chicken
- Additional chopped basil for garnish (optional)
In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add the onion, celery, carrot and bell pepper. Saute for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except the chicken, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes. Add the chicken and cook an additional 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is heated through.
Top with additional basil if desired.
This is one of my all-time favorites and is so versatile. Add whatever veggies you like, including green beans, mushrooms and cabbage.