Another totally flexible recipe! I made this up with what I thought sounded good. If there's something you don't like, skip it. Want to add something you do like? Go for it!
Often, this type of dish includes green onions and garlic - a delicious and healthy add - but my body can't handle raw alliums (a family that includes all types of onions and garlic).
For additional protein, excellent with diced chicken.
- 1 cup (170g) cooled quinoa (any color), prepared per package directions with water or broth (I often use veggie broth). I typically make a big pot and use leftover quinoa for this dish.
- 1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper, diced (I prefer red, orange or yellow)
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Small avocado, diced
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 small or 1 large lime
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper or to taste
Gently combine the quinoa, beans and vegetables in a large bowl. Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. Add dressing to the quinoa blend, stir and serve.