This started out as a pot roast recipe, but the broth was so good, it really leant itself to a soup - so be it!
- Small (approx 3 lb / 1.3 kg) lean beef roast (preferrably grass fed)
- coconut, avocado or olive oil for seering, optional
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 6 - 8 large carrots, in large chucks
- 3 - 4 celery stalks, in large chucks
- 2 cups (500ml) beef broth or stock
- 26 - 28 oz (750 g) diced tomatoes (I like Pomi tetra paks)
- 1 - 2 garlic gloves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
I like a nice brown coating on a roast, so I sear the beef in coconut oil in a heavy pan on the stovetop, turning each side until nicely browned. This is optional.
Place the onion, carrot and celery in the slow cooker and top with the seared beef. Add the broth, spices and tomatoes. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours, until the beef is tender and easily shreds.